The hotel Rifugio d’Ogliastra is situated near Jerzu, the “city of wine”! The hotel is located in the countryside in a tranquil, natural amphitheatre formed by the “tacchi” of Ogliastra (“tacchi” are the distinctive limestone rock formations that take their name from the idea that they resemble upturned shoe heels). Nestled in the mountains, this hotel offers total tranquility, there are no other hotels next to it, no other dwellings, it’s secluded location allows you to immerse yourself in the beauty and nature of this unique area of Sardinia.
The hotel is open all year, and offers clean, economical accommodation and has 20 twin or double rooms, all with en suite bathroom with a shower, toilet and bidet. There is no air conditioning in the rooms, however the location is in the mountains and there is usually a lovely breeze. Wi-fi is available at the hotel, however we would also encourage you to take a total technology break, turn off those devices and get “online” with nature and your own inner peace instead!
Here you can enjoy a peaceful and relaxing retreat holiday in Ogliastra where, thanks to the Hotel’s position, you can step outside your room and be immersed in stunning panormas, take a walk for 10 minutes and visit ancient Nuraghe with stunning views across the Tacchi, or walk through unspoilt and untouched valleys, spotting local animal and birdlife along the way.
Nearby, you can easily reach many different sights and places of interest to visit;
- 4km away is Ulassai’s famous cavern system, the Grotte Su Marmuri, which you can visit from April to October and is considered Europe’s finest and tallest caves.
- The sea is 20km away from the Hotel with the magical beaches of the Marina di Gairo and Cardedu.
- This area is well known for it’s rock climbing, so if you like to climb as well as practice yoga, then this is the spot for you!
- You can also find nearby the haunting ruins of Gairo and Osini, which the whole village abandoned after a mud slide in the 1950’s.
- Not far away you find other beautiful and famous tourist attractions such as Arbatax and Santa Maria Navarrese, from whose ports you can take boat trips along the Ogliastra coast, and visit the east coast’s sandy bays and beaches such as Cala Goloritzè, Cala Luna, Cala Gonone.
- From Gairo Tacquisara there’s the picturesque railway station from which the Trenino Verde (an old steam train) runs in the summer months, covering a panoramic route in the interior of Sardinia.
- The Hotel can organise, with its partners, guided walks within the spectacular Tacchi d’Ogliastra, where nature’s beauty remains totally unspoilt.
The Rifugio d’Ogliastra has 20 double or twin rooms with en suite toilet and shower, TV, internet connection, all built in the style of the old Sardinian towns and each with its own entrance and with lovely views over the surrounding countryside.
It is also possible to book triple or single rooms at a supplementary rate.
At lunch and dinner you can enjoy the local Sardinian dishes as well as international dishes, and in addition in the evenings there is the pizzeria, with a vast choice of pizzas.
You can sample all the specialities of Sardinia, Culurgiones (pasta filled with potato, mint & pecorino), spit-roast pork and lamb, locally cured ham, Casu Agedu (fresh goat’s cheese), bottarga (fish roe), pistoccu (Sardinian flat bread) and then Sebadas, served warm and drizzled with local honey or sweet ricotta ravioli….
The wine list, with its wide selection including the renowned Vino Cannonau produced in several communes in Barbagia and Ogliastra, deserves a special mention.
How to get there
To view any of the maps full screen, just click on “More options”.